We have discussed the Beloit College Mindset List, which characterizes today's incoming freshman class.
Michael Wesch's video Vision of Students Today is similar, but perhaps a bit darker. The video shows students in a large lecture hall holding up signs stating their characteristics.
Many of the characteristics it portrays have to do with the Internet and its implications and applications. For example:
- I spend 3 1/2 hours a day online.
- I will write 42 pages for class this semester ... and over 500 pages of email
- I will read 8 books this year ... and 2,300 Web pages and 1,281 FaceBook profiles.
- I buy $100 textbooks that I never open.
- I bring my laptop to class, but I'm not working on class stuff.
- I FaceBook through most of my classes.
- This laptop costs more than some people in the world make in a year.
Last, but not least, check out this Doonesbury cartoon.