Friday, July 06, 2012

Yet another way to advertise online

This may be old hat, but it was new to me. I wanted to test the video streaming application at Playon.tv. When I clicked to download the two-week free trial, I was told that all I had to do to get the program was tell my Facebook friends that I was testing it.

I clicked the download button and installed the program. As you see here, it did indeed post news of the test on my Facebook account.
That seems like a fair trade -- I get to try their software and they get some publicity. (They didn't get much publicity because I barely use Facebook). They were honest in telling me what they were going to do and I could have said "no."

Many people are bothered by the way we are tracked and advertised to on the Internet, but, in this case, it seems like a fair, transparent deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment